Brand: The Hampden Great House Distillery Edition 2020
Distiller: Hampden Estate Distillery
Proof: 118 pf
- Old single Jamaican Rum
- Fully matured and bottled at The Hampden Estate Distillery
- Distilled in our pot stills at the Hampden Estate Distillery, Trelawny – Jamaica.
- Our master distiller created this blend using the most representative marks of our distillery. The Distillery Edition represents the authentic expression of the unique and unrepeatable style of Trelawny rums. On sale exclusively at Hampden distillery’s gift shop and in limited quantities for designated markets.
Nose: Pronounced fruity nose – pineapple, banana, peaches, lemon pound cake, toasted coconut, new tires, petrol…. no heat, spice, or alcohol smell at all. Some floral notes.
Palate: Wow. Nice mouthfeel that coats the entire mouth. You can tell immediately that it’s spicier than the nose leads you to believe (in a good way). The cinnamon spice slowly builds to a crescendo before settling down into lighter cinnamon, banana bread, oak, black pepper, black cherry..
Finish: Dark brown sugar and cinnamon, wet oak, banana, vanilla, caramel, mint, some new tire rubber.
Yet another beautiful rum from Hampden, imported much to my delight by La Maison & Velier. According to Hampden, this is a blend of 80% low ester rum (OWH) and 20% high ester rum (<>H).
The OWH and <>H are “marques” that help indicate ester levels (that flavor punch) in various releases. The Cocktail Wonk has some useful posts around Jamaican rum, including a post about Jamaican Marques and another Jamaican Rum Distillery Cheatsheet. But to sum it up, this is a blend of 80% low ester rum and 20% very high ester rum. The final result is flavorful but still easily approachable by novice rum sippers.
The nose is beautiful – but when you first take a sip, an explosion of flavor hits your mouth and evolves for the next several minutes. This is simply outstanding.
1: Gross I can’t even drink this crap.
2: Poor I would force this down in good company
3: Bad I wouldn’t have to force it down, but it’s not good either.
4: Not Bad But still not good.
5: Just OK Average.
6: Good Above average, but not special.
7: Very Good Well above average.
8: Excellent This is a favorite of mine for sure.
9. Amazing I would bathe in this if I could afford to.
10. Life Altering Nothing could be better than this.
See all whiskey and rum reviews by rating